Friday, April 1, 2011

On “Antedisciplinary” Science

In PLoS Computational Biology, Sean R. Eddy wrote a Perspective, ["Antedisciplinary" Science](http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pcbi.0010006), on how to think about emerging interdisciplinary fields in science. In particular, he is concerned with the rising expectation that research groups have members from distinct disciplines, say a team with a biologist, a computer scientist, and a physicist. He contends that, in many cases, it is more effective to have teams of generalists. This is important to me because I feel like my job is a combination of numerical analysis, mechanics, computer programming, and biology: I think this is awesome. I get bored easily, and I'm delighted that I have a job in which I get to do a lot of complementary things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin